Pages

Friday 27 March 2015

SKETCHING AT THE HAIRDRESSER

 
I've just come back from a visit to the hairdresser where I spent a couple of hours gossiping and laughing.  Sylvie has her own salon where she works hard styling ladies and men's hair down at the port opposite the bakery.

 
When I discovered that she had booked Stephanie at the same time as me for her cut and colour appointment I knew I was in for a good time!  I always enjoy my haircuts as I get the opportunity to practise my French and to get my ear trained in understanding the language.

 
Stephanie is the wife of the local baker and loves to make people smile when they come to buy her bread and pastries. When I had been coiffed and it was time for Stephanie's cut I asked if they would mind me getting out my sketchbook.

 
It wasn't that easy trying to capture Stephanie's smile behind her curtain of hair while Sylvie moved from side to side but I had so much fun drawing and listening to the gossip. I learned a few new French phrases too and the girls were quite pleased with their portraits when I showed them.

 
Here's a portrait of Lionel, the proprietor of our favourite cafĂ© bar, l' Escale, which I drew a few days ago.  He runs his bar single handed working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week and always with a welcoming smile and a handshake.  I find the French so friendly, everyone says 'bonjour' and shakes your hand or gives you a couple of bisoux when you arrive depending on how well you know them!

No comments:

Post a Comment